Dunsten Hall – The Old Wye College Site

This week saw my second visit to the old Wye College site in Wye, Kent. This time it was Dunsten Hall – which has a total of 36 rooms that were in need of a decent TV signal.

Dunsten Hall

Dunsten Hall had an existing install that was just not up to the job. It had two aerials that were pointing to the local Wye Freeview Light transmitter, and they could only receive about 10 TV channels if they were lucky and if weather conditions would allow it.

The old aerials were feeding two separate sides of the building and it was requested that this was replicated in the revamp.

Two new 4G/LTE filtered aerials were installed and mounted on a non penetrating roof mount that was weighed down with 4 paving slabs. This avoids drilling into the roof, and eliminates leaks. The new aerials were successfully aligned to the Heathfield transmitter, and are receiving the full Freeview line up.

Dunsten Simon

Two new 4G/LTE filtered 47db gain launch amps replaced the existing under-powered domestic masthead amps.

Dunsten Launch

I made use of the existing internal wiring, but swapped out all of the internal screw-down splitters for shielded tap plates and connectors. This cuts out the ingress of noise, and the egress of good signal.

Dunsten F Connectors

All 36 rooms are now receiving a great DVB-T/T2 signal that is at the higher end of the specified tolerance, and I have had reports back that Withersdane Ltd’s clients are very pleased with their new available selection of reliable TV channels.

Dunsten Aerials

There will be a video posted shortly to our Facebook page that will show how we got the paving slabs, bracketry, aerials and tools up to the roof!

www.ashfordvision.co.uk

Time for a check-in.

Hello, I am still here!

Image

It has been a very busy period since my last blog, with the winds and what would have been a very steady workload anyway.

I have had the usual TV aerial, satellite dish, telephone and satellite broadband work coupled with wind damages including a call-out to an aerial that had fallen due to the top half of a chimney collapsing! I removed the bricks that were poised ready for sliding down the tiles and hitting a conservatory roof. Then it was made water tight ready for re-building, (I didn’t do that bit).

Another call-out was for a Tooway satellite broadband dish that was ripped out of a brick wall. The cause was the wind, but it didn’t help that it wasn’t installed correctly in the first place. It had loose elevation and azimuth securing bolts and the main wall securing bolts were drilled into to the mortar, which is the weakest point on a wall for mounting things.

Hopefully we have seen the end of the winds for a while, and business can return to normal. I am also hoping that I will have a little more time to update my blog every month. So until next time, Bye-bye.